Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Tinsel Waves Quilt Finish

Hi all!  With my mom's help, I just got this scrappy quilt totally finished -- woohoo!  This sucker is mostly made from scraps from the Tinsel Swoon quilt I blogged about a few posts back.

Full disclosure—I did add quite a lot of additional fabric for more HSTs and setting triangles to get it this big. But once I had used up all my Swoon triangle scraps, I liked it enough to keep going and make it bigger - - and bigger it is! The HSTs finish 2" square, and this quilt covers the top of a queen size bed. So,  if you do the math, that comes out to approximately eleventy-billion HSTs to make this quilt.

So, the fabric deets:  
Prints: Tinsel by Cotton + Steel and several Basics by Cotton + Steel
Solids: Kona and Bella Tinsel coordinatesBackground: Crisscross in Gold Metallic from "Remix" by Anne Kelle for Robert Kaufman
Backing: Little Deer in Berry from Garland by Cotton + Steel (a brushed cotton, similar to flannel)

The beautiful quilting (done by Mom!) is an all-over small loop, and is quilted with a cream-colored Glide thread. Glide has a bit of a sheen to it, and I loved how it shimmered on this holiday quilt. With Christmas, I don't think you can have too much shiny, gold stuff - - - which is good, cuz there's a ton of it in this quilt!

There was absolutely no rhyme or reason to how this quilt went together. I made HSTs until I used up all my fabric, and then sewed them into 16-patches until I couldn't make anymore. I laid out many different possible layouts before deciding on this one. It was just sheer luck that I had the blocks to do this without any planning. All said and done, I only had one 16-patch left over! Pretty good for a scrappy project, huh?

Wishing you joyful holidays and happy stitching,


Saturday, October 8, 2016

Ron Swanson Quilt Finish

Sharing another finish today! Here's my Ron Swanson Quilt, pattern from The Happy Zombie!

Rather than traditionally piece this bad boy, as the instructions call for, I used a gridded leave-in fusible interfacing. This helped things stay nice and straight, and was much less daunting than I think piecing all of those squares would be. It also means I cut 2" squares (the pattern calls for 2.5" squares), so my Ron is a little smaller than the original quilt. Which I was totally fine with since I really wanted it for a wall hanging instead of a bed quilt.

I made the background purple for some fun contrast, and I threw in some scattered prints in all the color types (except the white areas). 

The mustache quilting (because what could be more appropriate? Other than maybe eggs and bacon) was done by the best long armer in the world, my Mom. 

It feels so good to get some of these projects finished and shared!  :-)

Happy stitching,


Sunday, September 4, 2016

Tinsel Swoon Finish

It's been *ahem* a little while since I've blogged, but I haven't stopped quilting!  Here's a recent finish of mine. This is the super-popular "Swoon" pattern by Camille Roskelley using the following fabrics:

Prints: Tinsel by Cotton + Steel and several Basics by Cotton + Steel
Solids: Kona and Bella Tinsel coordinates
Background: Crisscross in Gold Metallic from "Remix" by Anne Kelle for Robert Kaufman

My favorite longarmer, aka "Mom", quilted this one with these vintage-y snowflakes.

This quilt was a summer birthday gift for my sister and her fiance. I wanted them to get it before Christmas gift-giving so they could enjoy it this holiday season.

Happy stitching!