Monday, October 8, 2012

Modern Designs for Classic Quilts


I am so completely thrilled and excited to announce that the book I wrote with Andrea Johnson is finally here! Modern Designs for Classic Quilts was a total labor of love, and I'm just so stinkin' proud that we did it, and grateful that we had the opportunity.

I want to tell you about the book, but I also want to tell you about what I love about this art form and why I do what I do.  I'm going to start with that stuff first.

I have been quilting since I was 7 years old. My lovely and sweet mom, Alice, taught me to sew when I was an itty bitty for a class project. I can't remember what the parameters of the assignment were, but I remember wanting to learn to sew like my mom. I remember using a ruler to draw a 1/4" seam on each square, and then carefully hand stitching on the pencil marks. I also remember getting bored from time to time but, hey, I was 7.


I learned how to sew using patterns - mostly very traditional because that's what was available. I used the fabric that was in local shops and in my mom's stash - lots of Civil Wars, repros, florals. The Modern Quilt Guild didn't exist, and I didn't know a single person within 10 years of my own age that enjoyed quilting. Not a one.

When the Modern Quilt Guild started up, I couldn't have been more thrilled. I attended the first meeting of the Cincinnati Modern Quilt Guild and was hooked. There were people my age who enjoyed quilting, liked the fabrics I did, and most importantly needed COMMUNITY like I did. And that's been the most amazing thing for me - the community of friends that have assembled around this art form, both in person and virtually. It's just . . . inspiring.


When I think about the MQG, blogging, writing a book, and all of the other amazing opportunities that I've had and the many more that are at all of our fingertips, the things that I always come back to as the most important are Community and Quilting. Being part of a group that loves what they do and supports each others' creative ability is phenomenal, and I am so grateful to be a part of it. And I want to do anything I can to make sure this wonderful group continues to grow and thrive over the years.
And here we are - 23 years after I made that first quilt, I've written a book about quilting. WHA...?

And I really do love the book. Andie and I, in my opinion, formed a really great team to write a book that tries to merge all of the things we love about quilting into one book: traditional blocks in modern settings and fabrics. There are 12 quilts, 6 small projects, and a whole bunch of techniques that are a little different from what you might normally see.
I do hope you will enjoy the book, and if you think it's something your friends might like, please share with your own communities. Andie and I are just two gals who like quilting, and our quilting empires are, well, in progress. We thank you in advance for any help you can give us in getting the word out there!

Lastly, thank you. I am extremely lucky to be part of such a fun, feisty group of people! Being part of this community means more than I can possibly say.

As always, happy stitching,

Kelly


3 comments:

Jean(ie) said...

5Like I told Andie, y'all rock. I'm so glad to see your hard work pay off. I was so blessed to spend time with y'all. I hope this book will be a resounding success!

Andie Johnson said...

Love thee.

El Wikipotorio said...

Hello matee nice post