Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Swoon Quilt: Block #1

Ok, I caved in and am now officially "swooning" - - - and I LOVE IT!!!!!

If you haven't seen the pattern, the Swoon Quilt was designed by Camille Roskelley (pattern found here). There's even a Swoon-Along hosted on Flickr, so head over there for lots of photos of other folks' beautiful Swoons.

When I saw the Swoon Quilt in person at a Cincinnati Modern Quilt Guild Meeting (courtesy of Christy), I fell a lot in love. I just haven't been able to get it off my mind, I've been cyber-stalking other peoples' progress, I find myself thinking about it when I'm driving to work, I wonder why it hasn't called and asked me out to a sensible movie - - - all the signs of a quilt crush (and possibly a disturbed mind).

So, I finally caved and am on my way! You all should be very proud of me - I only bought the background fabric for this bad boy; all the rest came out of my stash. (I don't know why that's such a good thing, but it is, right?. . . . (right?)????)

My swoon-alicious fabrics!

All of the pieces cut for the first block...
And she's finished!







1 block down, 8 to go. I have to say, I was afraid I'd find this block to be SUPER tedious given that each large block has a total of 45 interior-blocks (and even more pieces if you count up all the HSTs and flying geese). But it's been really fun so far, and not tedious at all! The instructions are very clear and, so far, completely accurate.

So, I highly encourage you to start swooning with me, if you haven't started already. But be forewarned: Swooning is quite the time-suck. I've gotten nothing done AT ALL since starting this quilt. (And also, unfortunately, I don't care.)

Have you already started on your own Swoon quilt? I'd love to hear how you're getting along!

Happy Stitching (& Swooning),

Kelly

9 comments:

Lynn said...

Swooning over your Swoon quilt! Love the dark background color!

Kelly said...

Looks great! I really need to try this pattern. I'm thinking I should make one for my daughter's first big-girl bed. That way, I have like a year to finish!

Elizabeth said...

Looks fabulous Kelly! I love your fabric choices, especially because they came from your stash. I can't wait to see your next block!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

LOVE IT!!

Kelly Biscopink said...

Thanks y'all! I love the navy background, too! And Kelly, I think you HAVE to make one of these for the kiddo! Make sure you take pictures! :)

Jean(ie) said...

(puts hands over her ears and eyes and hums softly to herself so she doesn't become obsessed)

I love the dark background with this!

Kelly Biscopink said...

Just let it happen, Jean.....give in to the swoon.......

Kacey said...

Late to the game on this quilt…but, do you have any tips on cutting the pieces? The pattern makes it look really complicated… Love that you used fabric you already had!

Kelly Biscopink said...

Kacey, the best advice I have is to just take it a step at a time. The cutting is a little complicated, but it's done that way so you can use fat quarters. If you have extra fabric, I'd suggest cutting your HST squares a little bigger than recommended so you can square them up perfectly. I didn't do that - - I worked with FQs - - but if I were to do it again, I think I would buy a little more fabric so I could square up. Hope that helps!