Friday, January 13, 2012

How To Make Color Block Cookies

Ok, these cookies are just the absolute PRETTIEST! Plus, they taste delicious to boot, and they've brought a little rainbow into a day that (at least in Ohio) is frozen tundra-esque. (Seriously, penguins wouldn't stay here in this.)

Anyway, my friend Bethany sent me a link earlier today with this totally hilarious recipe, which inspired me to do some of my own experimenting with butter, sugar and food coloring.

I've been growing more and more enamored with color blocking, and it occurred to me to try and make color blocked cookies. I think it worked really well, and I was amazed that the cookies stayed the same bright, brilliant colors through the baking process. 

Set a little time aside to make these, but know that they're really not difficult at all - just ever so slightly time consuming. I also bet you could use ready made sugar cookie dough and just color it, but I haven't tried it myself. Just think of the colorful possibilities!!!


Posted by Picasa

The short story: 

  1. Mix a batch of your favorite sugar cookie dough. 
  2. Divide into sections and add a different color of food coloring to each section. Mix thoroughly and then refrigerate dough for about an hour. 
  3. On a thoroughly floured surface, place the lumps of colorful dough right next to each other. Squish them together a bit, and then roll the dough out. As you do so, make sure the different colors meld together. 
  4. Use a glass or other cookie cutter to cut out the cookies, trying to get a few different colors in each cookie. 
  5. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake, following your cookie recipe instructions. 
  6. As soon as you remove them from the oven, sprinkle the cookies with a clear, edible sugar glitter. Allow to cool and enjoy!



Happy stitching (and baking!)


---Kelly

2 comments:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Yummy! Yummo!!

Andie Johnson said...

LOVE your blog makeover!!! And your cookies look uh-may-zing.