Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Gift of Serging


So, a little backstory here: I have a friend, Meghan. My sister, Karen, can claim her as a friend first, but I got to know her since I moved back to the area, and now she's my friend, too!

I love Meghan for a variety of reasons, which include but are not limited to the following:

Ohio Valley Antique Mall - LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!
  • She introduced me to the Mother Ship of antique stores, The Ohio Valley Antique Mall, and took me there and shopped with me all afternoon, and encouraged my trivial purchases but discouraged the extravagant ones.
  • She refers to both me and my sister as "Sister Biscuit". I'm not sure why this makes me laugh, but it does...a lot. I'm laughing a little bit now in memory of it....
  • She made me brownies. Do you remember in Home Alone when Kevin says, "A delicious cheese pizza, just for me."? That's how I felt when Meghan gave me a pan of delicious brownies, just for me.
  • We enjoy a similar love and affinity for crafting, sewing, and the supplies that come along with them. Meghan also understands that crafting is a dark mistress that can suck away both your time and money, but despite that fact, she understand like I do that it's impossible to quit. There's no patch for sewing...


And now she's MOVING AWAY!!!!!!!  BLERG!!!!!!

In her great wisdom, Meghan knew that the only thing that could possibly ease my sorrow and dry my tears was a small token of love. (I choose to believe that it was a token of love, but in reality, she didn't want to move it, but those are pretty much the same thing to me.)


She arrived on my doorstep on Friday with a box full of miracles and wonderment!



This simple cardboard box was a veritable treasure trove containing A SERGER, some pins, a pair of fancy paper scissors and a sparkly headband. All amazing, for sure.




I won't lie, I have no idea how to serge. I've never touched one in my life. In fact, taking these photos constitutes the closest I've ever been to one. But I'm gonna' learn! I will!


Am I wrong to be nervous by all of the thread?


Definitely gonna' have to change the needle first...



Thank you, Meghan, for my brand-spankin' new-to-me serger! 
I promise to think of you every time I break a thread!


XOXO,

Kelly

4 comments:

Melissa said...

oooooo! What a wonderful going away present. You are so luck! Can't wait to see what you make :)

ICantPayMyFines said...

OMG, I had no idea the scissors and sparkly headband were in there, but you can have those, too!!!

I'm glad you love it so much and it sure looks like I put it in the right hands.

Andie Johnson said...

Jealous.

Sarah said...

Bummer that your friend is there, but what an amazing gift! Happy serging!